What to do with too many tomatoes

 My first reaction upon seeing the above sight, was "Joshua Martin Brueggen, What the f&%k am I going to do with all of these tomatoes!?" (The kids were asleep...) They were three and four tomatoes deep near the middle of the table.  Plus this actual picture is missing the tomatoes I used to make 11 pints of the salsa below! I was overwhelmed, not just whelmed. The idea of processing these tomatoes, and in a timely fashion, made my head spin. I may have the patience of a saint (I am a teacher after all), but I have the attention span of a five year old. The twelve pounds I used to make salsa took me up to 8 hours start to finish to process. I cried and swore I would let these tomatoes rot rather than spend hours over the stove and sink peeling each frickin tomato. Oh and that I would never go hungry again, as I took a juicy bite.
Damn Good Salsa

Damn Good Salsa

Add Mrs. Wages Salsa mix and 1/4 cup vinegar to (6lbs tomatoes, 2lbs onions, cilantro and jalepeno to taste chopped in food processor, you will need to do this in batches) . Can by placing filled jars in warm water and bringing to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Then allow them to cool.


Victorio Food Strainer






But on with the tomato saga....

So like any person worth their salt, I googled my problem. The answers I received from the learned was that I just need to suck it up, and start cooking. I cursed them all, and kept looking. And lo and behold in the comments section on a canning website, a person became my tomato savior. They said that you do not need to peel and seed the tomatoes to get a great tomato product because there was a machine that would do it for you! The Victorio Food Strainer. You just shove your tomato in, and out comes seedless, skinless tomato product. NO PREP WORK NECESSARY!
Hallelujah!  The tomato crop is saved!

 I immediately went to Amazon. I checked the reviews, which were excellent, and paid 4 dollars to one day ship it to my home (amazon prime, baby, worth every penny!)

Upon opening I realized there was some assembly required, but still very simple.  I began right away. I put a whole tomato in the hopper on top. Pushed down with the included plunger while turning the handle and Voila! out came perfect beautiful tomato product. I did the whole table in two hours. 
 You can make alot of lewd jokes while using this machine and trust me Josh and I did:-) If you notice the useless junk comes out a hole on the opposite end of the intact hole. Just like a human body. Truly remarkable. Josh is already trying to configure a motor to turn the crank to make the machine even more timely and efficient.

In the end we canned 20-30 quarts of tomato product and in record time:-)

God bless you Victorio, as long as Josh continues his gardening obsession we will be best friends! And did I mention its around $40! It can also make applesauce and process other fruits and vegetables with a couple additional accessories, which I plan to get next gardening season.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canned Ham and Bean Soup

Thank You Sesame Street

Adventures of the Victorian age